Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Do I believe the Bible?

This post has been knocking around in my brain for a week now. I am sure by the end, I will feel it's incomplete.
That is because my knowledge of what I would like to share is completely incomplete.

So last Thursday in class, I had one of those "light bulb", "why didn't I make this connection before?", "kick in the pants" moment.
I was faced personally, with the question:

Do I really believe my Bible?

Such a simple, yet profound, question when it comes down to it.
The Teacher of this Class (My wonderful Daddy), said something that made everything click together. (Also, when this blog started forming in my mind)

He said: "You will hear many denominational preachers make the statement 'The Bible contains the Word of God'".
Think about this a moment... Oh how wrong this statement is, and how many it is misleading!
The Bible is the WORD OF GOD. It doesn't just "contain" the word of God.
We are told in 2 Timothy 3:16-
 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness"- KJV
I prefer the ESV on this verse as it defines "inspired" for us.
"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" -ESV
In regards to "Scripture" I want to share from this article:
"The term “scripture” [graphe] denotes that which is written. But it is the words of the biblical text that are written; hence, the very words of the Bible are God-breathed."


Growing up in the Lord's Church, I have heard sermons on this every Sunday.
I have never doubted that the Bible is the WORD OF GOD.
But the other day, and in the recent months of serious Bible Study, I came to a conclusion I would like to share.

As a Christian, Do you believe the Bible is the Word of God?
Do you really believe the Word of God?

If we all thought about this every waking moment, we have to admit that our lives would be vastly different.

If you believe the Word of God:
Would you miss a worship service for a ball game, school, headache, job that is not necessary, or any of the various "excuses" one could come up with?
"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." -Hebrews 10:25
(Exhort: Strongly encourage or urge (someone) to do something.)We must exhort one another to do WHAT is RIGHT and to "NOT forsake the assembling of ourselves".
I am strongly encouraging you to examine your life. To know if you are living the life God would have you to live.

For those of us with Children, Do we believe the Word of God?
If so:
Will we not take our Children to any/all of the gathering of Fellow Christians?
Would we not want them to grow up and know that God and his Church are the FIRST priority in our giving of money, time, and effort?
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
-Proverbs 22:6
What message are we sending to our Children when we put school work, ball games, headaches, ANY WORLDLY thing before God and his Church.

If we believe the Word of God:
Would we not feel the NEED and WANT to share the Gospel with EVERYONE we come in contact with?
"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." -Mark 16:15

If the Bible is the Word of God and we believe it:
Would we not study it SERIOUSLY every day? Would we not study when we have any free time?
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." -2 Timothy 2:15
I don't want to be ashamed of God's Word,I want to be "approved unto God".
I want to study the Bible so that I have an answer ready for anyone who asks!
"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear" 1 Peter 3:15


**I want you to know that my sins are many. I am in no way perfect. I am not writing this to let anyone think that I think myself better than anyone else. I am sharing this because I hope maybe it will help my Brothers and Sisters in Christ to examine their lives as I have been examining mine recently. I write this in hope that maybe someone else can benefit from my realization of my lack of knowledge of the Scriptures and join me in wanting to remedy this problem!







I hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed day! Thanks for sticking with me and reading! It really means a lot to me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment